Recently, Florida legalized the use of medical cannabis edibles. The law was implemented on August 27th, 2020 broadening the available THC options. This is quite significant for the 400,000 Floridians with a medical marijuana card. Our drug crime attorneys want you to understand that legalization often results in stricter rules. Understanding the new rules and regulations of edibles, will help ensure a smooth adoption of treatment plans and continued patient safety.
Florida’s New Edible Medical Marijuana Rules and Regulations:
- Do not color edibles to bright or primary colors. This is to help keep children from being drawn to them.
- Lozenges, gelatins, baked goods, chocolates, and drink powders are all acceptable forms of edible medical marijuana.
- Patients should not replicate any store-bought candy.
- Labels and packaging must be done appropriately.
- Patients must still show that he/she is an approved user.
- In a single serving, THC levels may not exceed 10mg and 200mg in multi-serving products.
Florida Drug Possession Penalties
Just because edibles are allowed for approved users, this does not mean that marijuana is legal for recreational use. The criminal penalties for individuals without a prescription still exist.
- A first-degree felony is punishable by up to 30 years in prison.
- A second-degree felony is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
- A third-degree felony is punishable by up to 5 years in prison.
- A first-degree misdemeanor is punishable by up to 1 year in jail.
Drug Crime Attorneys Share the Impact of Marijuana Influence in DUI Cases
In general, driving under the influence means just that. Whether the influence is alcohol, drugs, or other substances, all can result in penalties under the law. Marijuana and alcohol affect each person differently. So, understand the law, know your limits, and never operate a vehicle under the influence.
It’s great to live in a world where patients now have access to these medical marijuana, as it is life changing for many. However, the law treats medical use distinctly from recreational use.. If you or someone you know finds themselves in need of legal defense in a possession case, contact our drug crime attorneys https://dalecarsonlaw.com/#contact_us.